Information about Betahistine
Betahistine is used for vertigo and Meniere's disease. It helps to reduce the episodes of vertigo associated with Meniere's disease.
How betahistine works
Betahistine is a histamine analog. It works by improving blood flow in the inner ear which reduces the pressure of excess fluid in the inner ear. Excess fluid can send signals to the brain causing nausea, dizziness or spinning sensations (symptoms of Ménière's disease). Betahistine additionally dampens down the nerve signals sent from the inner ear to the brain. This relieves the symptoms of Ménière's disease.
Common side effects of betahistine
Headache, Nausea, Dyspepsia
Available Medicine for Betahistine
- ₹120 to ₹320Abbott6 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹250Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹157Albert David Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹100Mankind Pharma Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹194Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹173Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹135Eisai Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹225Icon Life Sciences6 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹161Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹74Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Betahistine
- You have been prescribed Betahistine to relieve vertigo (dizziness), hearing problems and tinnitus (noise in the ear) associated with Meniere's disease.
- It can only decrease the number and severity of attacks but will not completely stop them.
- Taking it with food can help reduce stomach problems.
- Take it at the same time each day to maintain a steady amount of the medicine in your body.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of peptic ulcer, asthma, or low blood pressure.
- Do not stop taking the medicine suddenly without talking to your doctor first.
Frequently asked questions for Betahistine
Q. Is it safe to take Betahistine during pregnancy?
Do not take Betahistine if you are pregnant unless your doctor advises you to do so.
Q. Can Betahistine use affect my blood pressure?
Not in everyone, but in very rare cases it may cause low blood pressure. In case the medicine causes low blood pressure, you may feel dizzy for some time especially when you get up after lying down. If you experience any such symptom, inform your doctor.
Q. Can I take alcohol while taking Betahistine?
No, you should not take alcohol while receiving treatment with Betahistine since alcohol interferes with Betahistine.