Information about Benzalkonium Chloride
Benzalkonium chloride uses
Benzalkonium Chloride is used in Preservation of the medicinal products.
How benzalkonium chloride works
The mode of action of benzalkonium chloride appears to be associated with the effect on the cytoplasmic membrane, which controls cell permeability.
Common side effects of benzalkonium chloride
Paralysis of respiratory muscle, Allergic contact dermatitis, Apprehension, Collapse, Coma, Convulsion, Cyanosis (bluish discoloration of the skin), Death, Shortness of breath, Muscle weakness, Restlessness, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Benzalkonium Chloride
- ₹70Optica Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹218Astra Zeneca1 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹150Reckitt Benckiser2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Benzalkonium Chloride
• Avoid contact with eyes, mouth or nose and rinse immediately with plenty of cool tap water in case of accidental contact.
• Never use benzalkonium chloride solution on blistered/ cut skin.
• Consult your doctor before using benzalkonium chloride solution in children younger than 2 years.
• Inform your doctor if symptoms do not disappear after 7 days of use.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Should not be given to patients who are allergic to benzalkonium chloride or any of its ingredients.
• Should not be given to patients who have a deep puncture wound, animal bite or serious burns.
Frequently asked questions for Benzalkonium Chloride
Q. Is benzalkonium chloride the same as rubbing alcohol?
No. Benzalkonium chloride is not as same as rubbing alcohol
Q. Is Benzalkonium Chloride antifungal?
Yes, Benzalkonium Chloride is known to be antifungal to some extent
Q. Does Benzalkonium Chloride kill viruses?
No. Benzalkonium does not kill viruses
Q. Is Benzalkonium Chloride bleach?
No. Benzalkonium Chloride is not bleach
Q. Does Benzalkonium Chloride kill MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)/ staph (Staphylococcus Aureus)?
Yes, higher concentrations of Benzalkonium Chloride can kill MRSA / staph present on the skin
Q. Does Benzalkonium Chloride work for cold sores?
Yes. Benzalkonium Chloride is effective for treatment of cold sores.