Information about Azelastine
Azelastine is used in the treatment of sneezing and runny nose due to allergies.
How azelastine works
Azelastine is an antihistaminic medication. It treats allergy symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes by blocking the effects of a chemical messenger (histamine) in the body.
Common side effects of azelastine
Available Medicine for Azelastine
- ₹390Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹76Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹85Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹174German Remedies1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Azelastine
- Your doctor has prescribed Azelastine to help relieve allergy symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes.
- As compared to other similar medications, it is much less likely to make you feel sleepy.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication as it may cause increased sleepiness.
- Stop taking Azelastine at least three days before taking an allergy test as it can affect the test results.
- Your doctor has prescribed Azelastine to treat a runny or stuffy nose caused by allergies (allergic rhinitis).
- Since it's a nasal spray, it does not expose the rest of your body to the medicine and hence gives you minimal side effects.
- Side effects such as nosebleeds, nasal ulceration, and bitter taste may occur after using the spray. These may not be with everyone.
- Inform your doctor if you have an infection,injury or ulceration in the inside of the nose as Azelastine can increase the risk of nose bleed and ulceration.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Azelastine can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Azelastine as it may cause increased sleepiness.
- Any of the side effects other than mentioned above if occur, do consult the treating physician.
Frequently asked questions for Azelastine
Q. Is azelastine over the counter/OTC?
No, it is available with doctor’s prescription only
Q. Is Azelastine the same as Flonase?
No, Azelastine is a different drug. Flonase contains the drug fluticasone
Q. Does Azelastine/Azelastine Hcl work?
It works at the prescribed dose for suggested disease condition. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Azelastine/Duonase/ a steroid/anticholinergic/corticosteroid/antihistamine/decongestant?
It is an antihistaminic drug
Q. Is Azelastine addictive?
No, it is not addictive. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take Benadryl/Zyrtec/Claritin with Azelastine?
Taking other medicines may alter the effects of Azelastine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does Azelastine cause drowsiness/nose bleeds/weight gain/raise blood pressure/make you tired/sleepy?
Azelastine causing these side effects is rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.