Information about Artesunate
Artesunate is used in the treatment of malaria. It is not used to prevent malaria or to treat severe malaria (where it has affected the brain, lungs or kidneys).
How artesunate works
Artesunate is an antiparasitic medication. It works by producing harmful chemicals (free radicals) within the malarial parasite, thereby killing it.
Common side effects of artesunate
Headache, Dizziness, Loss of appetite, Weakness
Available Medicine for Artesunate
- ₹215 to ₹389Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹232Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹397Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹202 to ₹387Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹205Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹396Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹208Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹222 to ₹422Almet Corporation Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹204Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹204Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Artesunate
- Do not start or continue the artesunate tablets and consult your doctor If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to artesunate.
- Do not start or continue the artesunate tablets and consult your doctor you are in first 3 months of pregnancy or If you are breast feeding.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking artesunate because you may feel sleepy.
Frequently asked questions for Artesunate
Q. What is artesunate amodiaquine/ Winthrop/artesunate injection?
These are trade names of artesunate containing products. It is used for the treatment of malaria. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Does artesunate contain sulphur?
No, it does not contain sulphur
Q. Where does Artesunate come from?
It is derived from Artemisinin tree.
Q. Is Artesunate banned in India?
No, it is available in India with doctor's prescription only
Q. Why is artesunate better than quinine?
Intramuscular or intravenous injection of artesunate has shown better treatment effects than quinine. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. How does Artesunate work?
It acts by producing free radicals which kills the malarial parasite (Plasmodium)