Artemether + Lumefantrine
Information about Artemether + Lumefantrine
Artemether + lumefantrine uses
Artemether+Lumefantrine is used in the treatment of malaria.
How artemether + lumefantrine works
This is a combination of two antiparasitic medicines: Artemether and Lumefantrine, which treats malaria. These medicines work by increasing the levels of haeme in the blood, a substance toxic to the malarial parasite. This kills the parasite and stops the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of artemether + lumefantrine
Headache, Loss of appetite, Dizziness, Weakness, Joint pain, Pain in muscles
Available Medicine for Artemether + Lumefantrine
- ₹146Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹139Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹126 to ₹211Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹146Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹150Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹146Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹168Themis Medicare Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹148McW Healthcare3 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹128Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹141 to ₹201BestoChem Formulations India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Artemether + Lumefantrine
- You have been prescribed Artemether + Lumefantrine for the treatment of acute uncomplicated malaria that is resistant to other antimalarial medications such as chloroquine.
- Finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- It should be taken with food or drinks rich in fat such as milk.
- It may cause fatigue and dizziness. Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration.
- If you vomit within 1 hour of taking the tablets, take another dose.
- Inform your doctor if you have kidney, liver or heart disease.
- Tips to reduce the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes:
- Wear light-coloured and covered clothing when you are outside after sunset.
- Use insect repellent creams or sprays on parts of your body not covered by clothing.
- Spray to kill any mosquitoes that may have entered rooms in spite of screening.
Frequently asked questions for Artemether + Lumefantrine
Artemether + Lumefantrine
Q. How to take Artemether+Lumefantrine?
Take Artemether+Lumefantrine with food, exactly as prescribed by your doctor. This medicine is usually taken twice a day with a meal for 3 days, or as directed. On your first day of treatment, take your first dose with food, followed by your second dose 8 hours later. Then for the next 2 days, take one dose in the morning and one dose in the evening. Patients should be encouraged to resume normal eating as soon as food can be tolerated, since this improves the absorption of the medicine.
Q. Are there any specific contraindications associated with the use of Artemether+Lumefantrine?
The use of Artemether+Lumefantrine is considered to be harmful for patients with a known hypersensitivity to any of the active or inactive ingredients of the medicine. Caution is advised in patients with cases of severe malaria and in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Q. What should I know about the storage and disposal of Artemether+Lumefantrine?
It is advised to keep this medicine in the container it came in, tightly closed. It should be kept out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
Q. Can I take Artemether+Lumefantrine while I am pregnant?
No, Artemether+Lumefantrine is considered to be harmful for women in their first trimester of pregnancy. The reason being, it increases the chances of fetal loss.