Information about Arsenic Trioxide
Arsenic trioxide uses
Arsenic Trioxide is used in the treatment of blood cancer (Acute lymphocytic leukemia).
How arsenic trioxide works
Arsenic trioxide belongs to a category of drugs called as anti-neoplastics. It acts by causing changes in the DNA of abnormal cells, thus causing cell death and preventing the spread of cancer..
Common side effects of arsenic trioxide
Nausea, Vomiting, Increased heart rate, Rash, Decreased potassium level in blood, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Breathlessness, Dizziness, Injection site pain, Increased liver enzymes, Increased glucose level in blood, Fever, Diarrhoea, Fatigue, Itching
Available Medicine for Arsenic Trioxide
- ₹818Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹412Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Arsenic Trioxide
- Inform your doctor before taking the medicine if you have kidney or liver disease or abnormal heart rhythms (evident from ECG).
- Ensure that appropriate blood tests are conducted for measurement of blood calcium, potassium and creatinine, before and during treatment with arsenic trioxide.
- Ensure that ECG recordings are conducted before and during treatment with arsenic trioxide.
- Make sure you use effective contraception while taking arsenic trioxide to prevent pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor before taking the drug if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding.