Information about Aripiprazole
How aripiprazole works
Aripiprazole is an atypical antipsychotic. It works by changing the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that affect thoughts.
Common side effects of aripiprazole
Headache, Fatigue, Nausea, Vomiting, Blurred vision, Sleepiness, Dyspepsia, Increased saliva production, Parkinsonism, Akathisia, Dystonia, Restlessness, Dizziness, Constipation, Tremor, Anxiety, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
Available Medicine for Aripiprazole
- ₹105 to ₹397Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹265Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹291Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹242Lupin Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹181Icon Life Sciences7 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹223Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹132La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹220Linux Laboratories5 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹118Alteus Biogenics Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹198Crescent Therapeutics Ltd5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Aripiprazole
- You have been prescribed Aripiprazole for relieving psychotic symptoms and manic episodes.
- It may take 4 to 6 weeks to see full effects on thoughts and mood. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- Your doctor may advise you to take it in the morning if you experience any difficulty in sleeping.
- It may increase your blood sugar and cholesterol. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and monitor your blood sugar and cholesterol levels regularly.
- Aripiprazole may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Aripiprazole as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes, unusual movements or develop suicidal thoughts.
Frequently asked questions for Aripiprazole
Q. Is Aripiprazole a mood stabilizer?
Aripiprazole is effective in treating manic episodes and other mood symptoms of bipolar disorder but not for the depressive episodes. Therefore, it can be combined with mood stabilizers like valproate to treat bipolar disorders.
Q. How long does Aripiprazole take to work?
The benefit of Aripiprazole may appear after a few days or few weeks of starting Aripiprazole. It may take 4-6 weeks to see the full benefits of this medicine.
Q. Does Aripiprazole affect you sexually?
Yes, Aripiprazole may cause prolonged and painful erection (priapism) in some patients. It may also cause impulse control disorder wherein the patient may develop urges or cravings that are irresistible and unusual for that person. In this case, the patient may develop an abnormally high sex drive or may experience an increase in sexual thoughts or feelings. Consult your doctor who may modify your dose or may advise to stop Aripiprazole.
Q. What is the most important thing that I should know about Aripiprazole?
Aripiprazole is not approved in elderly patients with dementia as it may increase the risk of causing death. Dementia is a brain disorder that affects the ability to remember, think clearly, communicate, and perform daily activities. This may further cause changes in mood and personality. Furthermore, patients with depression should be closely monitored when being given Aripiprazole, as they can develop suicidal tendencies.
Q. What should I avoid while using Aripiprazole?
Aripiprazole may commonly cause sleepiness, sedation, dizziness, blurred vision, and double vision. Avoid driving and using heavy machinery if you experience these symptoms. You should also avoid over-exercise, over-exposure to heat or getting dehydrated by avoiding direct sunlight. It is recommended to stay indoors in hot weather, and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
Q. Can Aripiprazole be taken by diabetics?
Aripiprazole may cause an increase in blood sugar levels. Extremely high levels of blood sugar may cause coma and death. Therefore, if you have diabetes, you should stay alert and check your blood sugar levels regularly.
Q. Does Aripiprazole cause weight gain?
Aripiprazole may cause weight gain in some patients. This medicine may also increase the cholesterol and fat levels in the blood. If you gain weight during treatment with Aripiprazole, consult your doctor for diet and exercise advice.