Information about Amiodarone
Amiodarone is used in the treatment of arrhythmias.
How amiodarone works
Amiodarone is an anti-arrhythmic medicine. It regulates heart beat by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart.
Common side effects of amiodarone
Nausea, Constipation, Slow heart rate, Increased liver enzymes, Altered taste, Increased level of thyroid hormones, Corneal microdeposits, Photosensitivity, Decreased thyroid stimulating hormone, Tremor, Sleep disorder, Eczema
Available Medicine for Amiodarone
- ₹58 to ₹421Sanofi India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹115Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹94Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹110Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹136Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹90Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹75Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹63 to ₹161Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹113Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹33Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amiodarone
- Do not start or continue amiodarone if you have signs of an allergic reaction like a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- Do not take amiodarone if you have a slower than usual heartbeat (called sinus bradycardia) or an illness which causes irregular heartbeats called ‘sino-atrial’ heart block; have or any other problems with your heartbeat and do not have a pacemaker fitted.
- Do not take amiodarone if you have thyroid problem, severe breathing problems, serious blood circulation problems, low blood pressure, weak heart (cardiomyopathy) or heart failure.
- Avoid using amiodarone if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Frequently asked questions for Amiodarone
Q. Is amiodarone a beta blocker or an ace inhibitor or a diuretic or an inotrope?
No. Amiodarone is belongs to a group of drugs called antiarrhythmics. It works by relaxing overactive heart muscles
Q. Is amiodarone rich in iodine?
Yes. Amiodarone contains iodine
Q. Is Amiodarone safe or is Amiodarone safe to take?
Amiodarone is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Amiodarone dangerous?
It can be dangerous if taken in inappropriate doses
Q. Is Amiodarone dialyzed?
Yes, Amiodarone is dialyzed
Q. Can I take amiodarone with Viagra(sildenafil) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen or Benadryl (diphenhydramine)?
Drugs like Viagra(sildenafil), Tylenol (acetaminophen), ibuprofen or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can increase the side-effects of amiodarone, and vice verca. Please consult your doctor before taking amiodarone with any other drug
Q. Does Amiodarone lower blood pressure or cause dizziness?
Yes, it causes low blood pressure, dizziness
Q. Does it causes constipation?
Yes, it causes constipation
Q. Does Amiodarone affects the heart rate or does it cause prolonged Qt interval?
Amiodarone is an antiarrhythmic agent known to cause prolongation of QT interval and controls the heart rate
Q. Does Amiodarone stimulate T4 receptors?
No, Amiodarone does not stimulate T4 receptors directly
Q. Does Amiodarone cause swelling?
Amiodarone can cause swelling due to allergic reaction.