Information about Amiodarone
Amiodarone is used in the treatment of Arrhythmias.
How amiodarone works
Amiodarone is an anti-arrhythmic medication. It regulates heart beat by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart.
Common side effects of amiodarone
Nausea, Constipation, Slow heart rate, Taste change, Eczema, Decreased level of thyroid hormones, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Amiodarone
- ₹62 to ₹74Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹124Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹103Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹124Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹91Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹125Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹120Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹66 to ₹116Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹161Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹110Gruentzig Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amiodarone
- Amiodarone may cause blurring of vision. Avoid driving or any activity requiring focus until you know how it affects you.
- It makes your skin sensitive towards sunlight. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing while going out.
- Your doctor may do regular blood tests, chest X-rays, ECG, eye test, thyroid, liver and lung function tests while you are taking this medicine.
- Notify your doctor if you develop breathlessness, persistent cough, jaundice, restlessness, weight loss/gain or eye problems.
- Notify your doctor about all other medicines that you are taking as Amiodarone can interact with many medicines.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Amiodarone
Q. Does Amiodarone affect blood pressure?
Generally, an oral tablet of Amiodarone does not affect blood pressure. But, when given through an injection intravenously (in the vein) then it may decrease in the blood pressure. To prevent this your doctor or nurse may give Amiodarone slowly. Along with that, you may also be prescribed medicines which increase blood pressure (vasopressor agents) to the infusion.
Q. What are the warning signals of liver toxicity caused by Amiodarone?
The warning signals of liver toxicity include yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), tiredness, nausea, vomiting, dark-colored urine, pale-colored stools, loss of appetite, stomach pain or high temperature. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms.
Q. What kind of vision problems occur with Amiodarone?
You may experience blurred vision or see circle around dazzling light (halos). It may also make your eyes dry or sensitive to light. It can even cause permanent blindness. Therefore, consult your doctor in case you experience any such problems while on Amiodarone.
Q. What does Amiodarone do to the heart?
Amiodarone blocks certain electrical signals in the heart that can cause an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). This way, it helps to restore normal heart rhythm and maintains a regular, steady heartbeat.