Information about Amiodarone
Amiodarone is used in the treatment of arrhythmias.
How amiodarone works
Amiodarone is an anti-arrhythmic medication. It works by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart to correct irregular heartbeat to a normal rhythm.
Common side effects of amiodarone
Nausea, Constipation, Slow heart rate, Increased liver enzymes, Altered taste, Increased level of thyroid hormones, Corneal microdeposits, Photosensitivity, Decreased thyroid stimulating hormone, Tremor, Sleep disorder, Eczema
Available Medicine for Amiodarone
- ₹58 to ₹59Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹115Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹96Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹115Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹131Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹113Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹91Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹110Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹161Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹33Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amiodarone
- It is very effective in the treatment of various types of arrhythmias (irregular heart rhythm).
- Amiodarone has several serious adverse effects and is indicated only when the condition is serious and no other treatments are suitable.
- Notify your doctor if you develop breathlessness, persistent cough, jaundice, restlessness, weight loss/gain, or eye problems.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight as there may be a risk of photosensitivity.
- Notify your doctor about all other medicines that you are taking as Amiodarone can interact with many medicines.
Frequently asked questions for Amiodarone
Q. Is amiodarone a beta blocker or an ace inhibitor or a diuretic or an inotrope?
No. Amiodarone is belongs to a group of drugs called antiarrhythmics. It works by relaxing overactive heart muscles
Q. Is amiodarone rich in iodine?
Yes. Amiodarone contains iodine
Q. Is Amiodarone safe or is Amiodarone safe to take?
Amiodarone is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Amiodarone dangerous?
It can be dangerous if taken in inappropriate doses
Q. Is Amiodarone dialyzed?
Yes, Amiodarone is dialyzed
Q. Can I take amiodarone with Viagra(sildenafil) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen or Benadryl (diphenhydramine)?
Drugs like Viagra(sildenafil), Tylenol (acetaminophen), ibuprofen or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can increase the side-effects of amiodarone, and vice verca. Please consult your doctor before taking amiodarone with any other drug
Q. Does Amiodarone lower blood pressure or cause dizziness?
Yes, it causes low blood pressure, dizziness
Q. Does it causes constipation?
Yes, it causes constipation
Q. Does Amiodarone affects the heart rate or does it cause prolonged Qt interval?
Amiodarone is an antiarrhythmic agent known to cause prolongation of QT interval and controls the heart rate
Q. Does Amiodarone stimulate T4 receptors?
No, Amiodarone does not stimulate T4 receptors directly
Q. Does Amiodarone cause swelling?
Amiodarone can cause swelling due to allergic reaction.