Information about Amantadine
How amantadine works
Amantadine is a dopamine agonist that treats Parkinson's disease. It works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain which regulates body movements. It also has an antiviral property. It works against viruses to prevent their growth and multiplication. It also appears to restricts the viruses to release infectious chemicals (viral nucleic acid) to enter into the body. Thus, it prevents and treats Influenza infection.
Common side effects of amantadine
Nausea, Dryness in mouth, Constipation, Dizziness, Blurred vision, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Hallucination, Peripheral edema, Balance disorder (loss of balance), Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Amantadine
- ₹167 to ₹184Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹120Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹93Consern Pharma P Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹165Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Nestor Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amantadine
- You have been prescribed Amantadine to treat your symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- It may cause blurring of vision or affect mental ability. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- It may put you at a higher risk of having seizures. Talk to your doctor if you have a history of seizures or are taking medication for it.
- Inform your doctor if you notice an urge to gamble, increased sexual urges, binge eating, or uncontrolled spending.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Amantadine
Q. Does Amantadine affect fertility?
No, Amantadine is not known to affect fertility in humans.
Q. Can Amantadine get you high?
The use of Amantadine may cause impulse control disorders in which you may have strong urges to gamble, increased sexual urges, intense urges to spend money, binge eating, and other intense urges. Additionally, there is the inability to control these urges. If such symptoms are experienced then dose reduction or tapered discontinuation should be considered.
Q. Is Amantadine a dopamine agonist?
Yes, Amantadine is a dopamine agonist. Dopamine is needed to control movements in the brain. Amantadine works by increasing the amount of dopamine, thereby helping in controlling the movements in Parkinson’s disease.
Q. Does Amantadine cause constipation?
Yes, constipation is a common side effect of Amantadine, though it does not occur in everyone. Consult your doctor or a dietician if constipation persists and is troublesome.
Q. Does Amantadine cause fatigue?
Yes, Amantadine causes fatigue and sleepiness which may affect some patients’ ability to drive and operate machinery safely.
Q. Can I take Amantadine any time during the day? Should the dose be taken before meal?
Yes, Amantadine can be taken at any time during the day, with or without food. Try to take the medicine at about the same time each day, as directed by your doctor. Taking your medicine at the same time each day will have the best effect. It will also help you to remember when to take your medicine.
Q. Is Amantadine used for pain?
Though it is not an approved use, Amantadine has been shown to be effective in relieving pain related to nerve disorder. Amantadine is a prescription medicine, and you should take it for relief of pain only if advised by the doctor.
Q. What happens when I stop taking Amantadine?
Do not stop taking this medicine or lower the dose without first checking with your doctor. If required, your doctor will gradually reduce the amount you take each day before stopping it completely. Abruptly stopping Amantadine may result in worsening of Parkinsonism. It may also cause delirium, agitation, delusions, hallucinations, paranoid reaction, stupor, anxiety, depression, or slurred speech.
Q. Can Amantadine cause weight loss?
Decreased weight and body mass index may occur with continued Amantadine usage. If you have any concerns regarding weight loss consult your doctor or a nutritionist.