Information about Amantadine
Amantadine is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How amantadine works
Amantadine works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger that is needed to control movements in the brain.
Common side effects of amantadine
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Dryness in mouth, Sweating, Ankle swelling, Anxiety, Constipation, Discoloration of skin of legs
Available Medicine for Amantadine
- ₹167Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹102Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amantadine
- You have been prescribed Amantadine to treat your symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Amantadine can make you very sleepy. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
- Don't take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- Amantadine may put you at a higher risk of having seizures. Talk to your doctor if you have a history of seizures or taking medication for it.
Frequently asked questions for Amantadine
Q. Is amantadine an MAOI or an anticholinergic or an antibiotic or narcotic or stimulant or a dopamine agonist?
Amantadine is not a MAOI or an anticholinergic or an antibiotic or narcotic or stimulant. It is an antiviral drug
Q. Is Amantadine available over the counter (OTC)?
No, it is not available as OTC drug, consult your doctor before taking Amantadine
Q. Is Amantadine like Adderall?
No, Amantadine is different than Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine). Adderall is a psychostimulant
Q. Is Amantadine a stimulant?
No, Amantadine is not a stimulant
Q. Can I take ibuprofen (Advil) with amantadine?
Ibuprofen (Advil) and amantadine should not to be taken together as they interact with each other. Please consult your doctor before taking other medicines along with amantadine
Q. Can I take dextromethorphan (Dayquil) with amantadine?
No results found for any interaction of dextromethorphan (Dayquil) with amantadine, but always consult with your doctor before taking this medication
Q. Does Amantadine help fatigue?
Amantadine is sometimes effective in relieving fatigue in multiple sclerosis (a demyelinating disease marked by patches of hardened tissue in the brain or the spinal cord and associated especially with partial or complete paralysis and jerking muscle tremor)
Q. Does amantadine increase dopamine?
Yes, amantadine is a dopaminergic drug, so it increases dopamine
Q. Does Amantadine work?
Amantadine is a dopaminergic drug and an antiviral. If used to prevent viral infection it works by preventing the virus from reproducing, and in Parkinson's disease it works by restoring the chemical balance between dopamine and acetylcholine (neuro-transmitters) in the brain
Q. Does Amantadine get you high/ hair loss / weight gain/ make you sleepy/ constipation/ high blood pressure?
Amantadine has a common side effect of causing sleepiness. However, it is not known to cause constipation, high blood pressure, weight gain. If you experience such side effects, please consult your doctor.