Information about Altretamine
Altretamine is used in the treatment of ovarian cancer.
How altretamine works
Altretamine is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA and RNA) of the cancer cells. This stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of altretamine
Nausea, Vomiting, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Vertigo, Drowsiness, Low blood platelets, Hallucination, Confusion, Uncoordinated body movements, Dizziness, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Depression
Available Medicine for Altretamine
- ₹5055Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Altretamine
- Altretamine may cause severe nerve damage. If you experience symptoms such as pain, burning, numbness, or tingling in the hands or feet, weakness in the arms or legs, loss of ability to move arms or legs, mood changes, loss of consciousness, contact your doctor immediately.
- You should take altretamine with food or milk and on the indicated days.
- Tell your doctor if you have bone marrow cancer, bone marrow depression, a history of low white blood cell count, liver problems, if you are receiving radiation, if you are taking any other medicines such as MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) or pyridoxine.
- You should avoid contact with people who have colds or other infections as altretamine lowers resistance to infection. Do not touch your eyes or the inside of your nose unless you have thoroughly washed your hands first.
- Altretamine may reduce the number of blood cells needed for clotting. Therefore, prevent bleeding or avoid situations where bruising or injury may occur.
- You may need to undergo blood tests including platelet counts, to monitor treatment progress or to check for side effects.
- Use altretamine with caution in the elderly because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially kidney function.
- Altretamine is not recommended for use in children and adolescents under 18 years of age as safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
Frequently asked questions for Altretamine
Q. What is Altretamine used for?
Altretamine is used to treat ovarian cancer in females which has not improved or became worse after treatment with other medications
Q. How does Altretamine work?
Altretamine works by slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells in the body.