Information about Alprostadil
Alprostadil is used in the treatment of patent ductus arteriosus.
How alprostadil works
Alprostadil is similar to a natural substance in the body called prostaglandin E1. It works by improving blood flow in newborn babies born with heart defects.
Common side effects of alprostadil
Apnea (absence of breathing), Fever, Seizure, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Abnormal heart rhythm, Diarrhea, Sepsis
Available Medicine for Alprostadil
- ₹6663Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5850United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹106 to ₹9000Max India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Alprostadil
- Alprostadil helps to keep a blood vessel called the ductus arteriosus open in babies born with a heart defect, until the defect can be corrected with surgery.
- It is given into one of the baby's veins using a drip (intravenous infusion).
- It is administered only by well trained healthcare professionals and in facilities with immediate access to paediatric intensive care.
Frequently asked questions for Alprostadil
Q. Is Alprostadil safe/ why does Alprostadil cause apnea?
Alprostadil is safe if used at recommended dosage and duration. Apnea is not reported as side effect when used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Always consult your doctor before its use
Q. How effective is Alprostadil/ does Alprostadil work/ does Alprostadil gel work?
Alprostadil is effective if used at recommended dosage and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. How is Alprostadil administered?
Alprostadil is either injected into the penis or used as a urethral suppository (pellet to be placed into the urinary opening of the penis). Consult your doctor regarding administration of alprostadi
Q. How is Alprostadil stored?
Alprostadil injections (with suspensions) can be stored below or at 25°C for 24 hrs. Urethral stick in unopened pouches is stored in a refrigerator (2-8oC). Prior to use you may remove them from the refrigerator and store them at room temperature (not above 30oC) for a maximum of 14 days.