Information about Alfuzosin
Alfuzosin is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
How alfuzosin works
Alfuzosin is an alpha blocker. It works by relaxing muscle around the bladder exit and prostate gland so urine is passed more easily.
Common side effects of alfuzosin
Dizziness, Headache, Tiredness
Available Medicine for Alfuzosin
- ₹517Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹451Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹224Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹117Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹111Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹128Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹103Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹88Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹72Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Alfuzosin
- Alfuzosin helps in relieving the symptoms of enlarged prostate. It does not decrease the size of the prostate.
- Alfuzosin must be taken with food.
- You will feel better within hours or days of starting the treatment. Full effect is usually seen within 2 weeks.
- Alfuzosin may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- If you are scheduled to undergo an eye surgery due to cataract or glaucoma, inform your eye doctor about the usage of Alfuzosin.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Alfuzosin
Q. Can Alfuzosin cause erectile dysfunction?
No, Alfuzosin does not cause erectile dysfunction. On the contrary, it may help in improving such condition. However, this medicine may cause painful erection (priapism) which does not go away. If priapism is not treated you may not be able to get an erection in the future.
Q. Does Alfuzosin shrink the prostate?
No, Alfuzosin does not shrink the size of the prostate. It belongs to alpha-blocker class of medicines. It works by relaxing muscles of bladder and prostate to allow urine to flow more easily. It helps in relieving symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Q. When should I take Alfuzosin?
Alfuzosin should be taken after meals at the same time each day. Do not cut, crush, or chew the medicine, but swallow it whole with water.
Q. Does Alfuzosin have any effect on liver?
In very rare cases your liver may be affected and cause liver function abnormality. Inform the doctor if you already have liver disease before starting the medication. The doctor will prescribe a lower dose of Alfuzosin once or twice daily.
Q. What can patients do to help alleviate or prevent discomfort and side effects due to Alfuzosin?
Alfuzosin may lower your blood pressure especially when you suddenly stand up after lying down. You may feel dizzy or fainting and therefore you should get up slowly from bed or chair. This medicine may impair your reactions. Hence, avoid driving or hazardous activities until you know how this medicine will affect you.
Q. Can Alfuzosin be taken by old or elderly people?
Yes, it can be taken by elderly or old people, but they need to be careful. Regular monitoring is required in case the patient also has high blood pressure.
Q. Can Alfuzosin affect my eyes?
In rare cases, Alfuzosin may cause abnormal vision. But, it is important to know that this medicine may cause complications during surgery, if you are to be operated for cataract. Hence, inform your doctor before surgery that you are taking Alfuzosin. Your doctor may perform surgery differently and complications can be prevented.
Q. Can the use of sildenafil or vardenafil cause trouble when taken along with Alfuzosin?
Extreme care should be taken if you are taking sildenafil or vardenafil along with Alfuzosin. The combination may cause a significant decrease in blood pressure which can be serious. Inform your doctor if you are taking these medicines.