Acamprosate along with counselling is used as a therapy to maintain the practice of avoiding alcohol drinking again in people who are alcohol dependant.
How it works
Acamprosate is a synthetic amino acid and a neurotransmitter analogue that works by maintaining activities of chemical substances present in the brain, particularly gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABA) and glutamate, thereby helping the brains of alcoholic people to work normally again.
Common side effects
Nausea, Rash, Abdominal pain, Decreased libido, Diarrhoea, Impotence, Itching, Vomiting
- You should not be drinking at the start and during acamprosate treatment as it will be less effective if you keep drinking.
- When you suddenly stop drinking, you may experience some unpleasant symptoms known as alcohol withdrawal syndrome. You should take acamprosate as soon as possible after the withdrawal period.
- Alcoholic patients may suffer from depression and suicidality. Please report your treating doctor in case of any such symptoms.
- Consult your doctor before stopping to take acamprosate.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is acamprosate addictive/ is acamprosate a narcotic?
Acamprosate is not addictive when given at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Acamprosate is a calcium acetylhomotaurinate and not a narcotic.
Q. Is acamprosate effective?
Acamprosate is effective if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is acamprosate a placebo?
Acamprosate is a drug and not a placebo.
Q. What is acamprosate/What is acamprosate calcium used for?
Acamprosate or acamprosate calcium along with counselling is used as a therapy to maintain the practice of avoiding alcohol drinking again in people who are alcohol dependent.
Q. Does acamprosate get you high/ make you drowsy/ cause weight gain?
These side effects are rare or uncommon with acamprosate treatment. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience one or more such symptoms and stop taking acamprosate immediately.