Information about Acamprosate
Acamprosate is used in the treatment of alcohol addiction.
How Acamprosate works
Acamprosate is believed to stabilize the chemical balance in the brain by blocking glutaminergic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and activating the gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptors.
Common side effects of Acamprosate
Diarrhea, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Decreased libido, Itching, Flatulence, Impotence
Available Medicine for Acamprosate
AcamprolSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
AcamptasIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
AcampconConsern Pharma Limited
CampsateTripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd
Expert advice for Acamprosate
- Acamprosate reduces craving for alcohol in people who have stopped drinking.
- Take it in combination with a counselling programme to help you maintain abstinence from alcohol.
- It is only effective after you have completely stopped drinking alcohol.
- This medicine does not relieve alcohol withdrawal symptoms and does not prevent the harmful effects of continued alcohol abuse.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- It will take time, support, willpower and determination to readjust to not drinking and learn to live without alcohol.