Information about Acamprosate
Acamprosate is used in alcohol dependence.
How acamprosate works
Acamprosate blocks the chemical which breaks the converted form of alcohol in the body. This leads to an increased level of converted form of alcohol in the body causing bad physical features while drinking alcohol.
Common side effects of acamprosate
Diarrhoea, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Decreased libido, Itching, Flatulence, Impotence
Available Medicine for Acamprosate
- ₹70Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹68Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹99Psycormedies1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acamprosate
- You should not be drinking at the start and during acamprosate treatment as it will be less effective if you keep drinking.
- When you suddenly stop drinking, you may experience some unpleasant symptoms known as alcohol withdrawal syndrome. You should take acamprosate as soon as possible after the withdrawal period.
- Alcoholic patients may suffer from depression and suicidality. Please report your treating doctor in case of any such symptoms.
- Consult your doctor before stopping to take acamprosate.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Acamprosate
Q. Is Acamprosate addictive/ is Acamprosate a narcotic?
Acamprosate is not addictive when given at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Acamprosate is a calcium acetylhomotaurinate and not a narcotic
Q. Is Acamprosate effective?
Acamprosate is effective if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Acamprosate a placebo?
Acamprosate is a drug and not a placebo
Q. What is acamprosate/What is acamprosate calcium used for?
Acamprosate or acamprosate calcium along with counselling is used as a therapy to maintain the practice of avoiding alcohol drinking again in people who are alcohol dependent
Q. Does Acamprosate get you high/ make you drowsy/ cause weight gain?
These side effects are rare or uncommon with Acamprosate treatment. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience one or more such symptoms and stop taking Acamprosate immediately.