Information about Acamprosate
Acamprosate is used in the treatment of alcohol addiction.
How acamprosate works
Acamprosate is believed to stabilize the chemical balance in the brain by blocking glutaminergic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and activating the gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptors.
Common side effects of acamprosate
Diarrhea, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Decreased libido, Itching, Flatulence, Impotence
Available Medicine for Acamprosate
- ₹82Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹81Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹99Psycormedies1 variant(s)
- ₹86Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹109Enrico Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acamprosate
- Acamprosate reduces craving for alcohol in people who have stopped drinking.
- Take it in combination with a counselling programme to help you maintain abstinence from alcohol.
- It is only effective after you have completely stopped drinking alcohol.
- This medicine does not relieve alcohol withdrawal symptoms and does not prevent the harmful effects of continued alcohol abuse.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- It will take time, support, willpower and determination to readjust to not drinking and learn to live without alcohol.
Frequently asked questions for Acamprosate
Q. Is Acamprosate addictive/ is Acamprosate a narcotic?
Acamprosate is not addictive when given at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Acamprosate is a calcium acetylhomotaurinate and not a narcotic
Q. Is Acamprosate effective?
Acamprosate is effective if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Acamprosate a placebo?
Acamprosate is a drug and not a placebo
Q. What is acamprosate/What is acamprosate calcium used for?
Acamprosate or acamprosate calcium along with counselling is used as a therapy to maintain the practice of avoiding alcohol drinking again in people who are alcohol dependent
Q. Does Acamprosate get you high/ make you drowsy/ cause weight gain?
These side effects are rare or uncommon with Acamprosate treatment. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience one or more such symptoms and stop taking Acamprosate immediately.