Description of Vitiligo
Vitiligo causes white patches on your skin. It can also affect your eyes, mouth, and nose. It occurs when the cells that give your skin its color are destroyed.
Causes and Risk Factors
1. It is more common in people with autoimmune diseases
2. May run in families
3. Usually starts before age of 40 years
Signs and Symptoms
Common symptoms include:
1. White patches
2. Patches are more common where the skin is exposed to the sun
3. In some cases, the patches may spread
4. Vitiligo can cause hair to gray early
5. In case of dark skin, one may lose color inside your mouth
Prevention and Treatment
1. Using sunscreen will help protect your skin
2. Treatments for vitiligo include:
b) Light therapy
Not every treatment is right for everyone, many have side effects and some take a long time.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Frequently Asked Questions about Vitiligo
Not Available. Will update soon.