Information about Losartan
Losartan is used in the treatment of increased blood pressure , heart failure, heart attack and diabetic kidney disease.
How losartan works
Losartan relaxes the blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and also reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart works more efficiently.
Common side effects of losartan
Fatigue, Dizziness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Renal impairment, Vertigo, Increased potassium level in blood, Weakness, Anemia.
Available Medicine for Losartan
- ₹47 to ₹82Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹113Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹55Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹55Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹55Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹30Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹26Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹92Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹20Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹73Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Losartan
- Losartan may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, take the Losartan at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving, if you feel dizzy after consuming Losartan.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant.
- Losartan should be discontinued a day prior to the scheduled surgery.
Frequently asked questions for Losartan
Q. Is losartan a blood thinner?
No, losartan is from a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It works by blocking the action of certain natural substances that tighten the blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently
Q. Is losartan safe?
Losartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is losartan the same as losartan potassium?
Yes. Losartan is available in the market as losartan potassium. So, the salt form of losartan contains potassium, however, check the bottle before use
Q. Is losartan generic?
Yes, it is the generic drug
Q. Is losartan a water pill?
No, it belongs to a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor antagonists
Q. Is losartan gluten free?
Yes. losartan is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Does losartan contain potassium?
Losartan is available in the market as losartan potassium. So, the salt form of losartan contains potassium, however, check the bottle before use
Q. Can I take losartan with Benadryl/atenolol/Xanax/Viagra/Nyquil/metoprolol?
Atenolol, metoprolol and Xanax may lower blood pressure when taken along with losartan. No clinically observed drug interaction is observed with Viagra, Nyquil, and alcohol. Please follow doctor’s advice regarding its use
Q. Does losartan cause constipation/infrequent urination/ drowsiness/ headache/ itching/ cough/ lower heart rate?
Losartan causes headache, drowsiness. Constipation, infrequent urination, itching, cough and low heart rate are not reported. Patient should fallow doctor’s advice regarding the possible side effects.