Information about Losartan
Losartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
How losartan works
Losartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking the hormone angiotensin thereby relaxing blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of losartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Losartan
- ₹52 to ₹90Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹120Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹61Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹18Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹100Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹20Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹144Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹81Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹48Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Losartan
- You have been prescribed Losartan to improve your blood pressure.
- Lowering blood pressure reduces chances of future heart attack & strokes.
- It may also be used to treat chronic (long-standing) heart failure.
- It protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney diseases.
- Losartan can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Take it preferably at bedtime and rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Losartan may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Do not take Losartan during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking Losartan.
Frequently asked questions for Losartan
Q. Is Losartan a blood thinner?
No, Losartan is from a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It works by blocking the action of certain natural substances that tighten the blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently
Q. Is Losartan safe?
Losartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is losartan the same as losartan potassium?
Yes. Losartan is available in the market as losartan potassium. So, the salt form of losartan contains potassium, however, check the bottle before use
Q. Is Losartan generic?
Yes, it is the generic drug
Q. Is losartan a water pill?
No, it belongs to a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor antagonists
Q. Is Losartan gluten free?
Yes. Losartan is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Does losartan contain potassium?
Losartan is available in the market as losartan potassium. So, the salt form of losartan contains potassium, however, check the bottle before use
Q. Can I take losartan with Benadryl/atenolol/Xanax/Viagra/Nyquil/metoprolol?
Atenolol, metoprolol and Xanax may lower blood pressure when taken along with losartan. No clinically observed drug interaction is observed with Viagra, Nyquil, and alcohol. Please follow doctor’s advice regarding its use
Q. Does Losartan cause constipation/infrequent urination/ drowsiness/ headache/ itching/ cough/ lower heart rate?
Losartan causes headache, drowsiness. Constipation, infrequent urination, itching, cough and low heart rate are not reported. Patient should fallow doctor’s advice regarding the possible side effects.