Information about Ephedrine
Ephedrine is used in the treatment of hypotension following spinal anesthesia.
How ephedrine works
Ephedrine works on the blood vessels and increases the blood flow to heart and lungs, thereby improving the disease condition.
Common side effects of ephedrine
Systemic hypertension (high blood pressure), Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
Available Medicine for Ephedrine
- ₹31Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Geo Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ephedrine
- It is usually given as a slow injection into your veins by a doctor or healthcare professional.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken medication to treat severe depression.
Frequently asked questions for Ephedrine
Q. Is Ephedrine dangerous/safe?
Ephedrine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Ephedrine illegal/ controlled substance?
Ephedrine is legal. Ephedrine is not currently classified as a controlled substance.
Q. Is Ephedrine a stimulant?
Yes, Ephedrine is a stimulant
Q. Does Ephedrine raise blood pressure?
Yes, Ephedrine may increase blood pressure. It is used to treat low blood pressure (hypotension) caused during spinal or epidural anesthesia
Q. Does Ephedrine cause hair loss/ drowsiness/ constipation/ acne/ weight loss?
No, Ephedrine is not known to cause hair loss, drowsiness, constipation, acne or weight loss. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Does Ephedrine burn muscle/help lose weight?
Ephedrine is known to cause weight loss. However, it is not widely used as a treatment for weight loss.