NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of a liver disorder like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, itching, dark urine. It may also be ordered to monitor the treatment of patient’s with liver disease.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of liver function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like yellow colored urine, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, abdominal pain
- If you are at increased risk of developing liver disease like you are a heavy drinker, have been exposed to hepatitis virus, have a family history of liver disease
No special preparation required
- Very high AST levels ( more than10 times normal) are usually due to acute hepatitis which is mostly due to viral infection
- High AST levels ( four times normal) may be seen in chronic hepatitis, obstruction of bile ducts or cirrhosis
- In most liver diseases, the ALT level is higher than AST and the AST/ALT ratio will be low (less than 1). The AST/ALT ratio is greater than 1 in alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, heart or muscle injury
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What other condition except liver disease can lead to increased AST levels?
Injury to heart, skeletal muscle can also lead to elevation of AST.
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficientRead More