How it works
Common side effects
- Do not use magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) or sorbitol along with polystyrene sulfonate.
- Do not use if you have low potassium levels in blood.
- Do not use in patients with risk of developing constipation or impaction (bowel blockage).
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of disease conditions such as severe congestive heart failure, severe high blood pressure, and kidney disease or marked swelling.
- Inform your doctor if you are on sodium-restricted diet.
- Consult your doctor before taking polystyrene sulfonate if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q.What is polystyrene sulfonate?
Polystyrene sulfonate is used for treatment of hyperkalemia (high levels of blood potassium). Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q.Does sodium polystyrene sulfonate work?
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate works at the prescribed dose and duration for treatment of hyperkalemia as advised by your doctor.