Information about Pimozide
Pimozide is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How Pimozide works
Pimozide is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of Pimozide
Sleepiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dryness in mouth, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Weight gain, Increased prolactin level in blood, Urinary retention, Constipation, Muscle stiffness, Abnormal vision, Tremor
Available Medicine for Pimozide
AtarapA N Pharmacia
₹49 to ₹1412 variant(s)
MozepIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹77 to ₹1052 variant(s)
₹44 to ₹662 variant(s)
R ZepReliance Formulation Pvt Ltd
₹77 to ₹1402 variant(s)
OrapJohnson & Johnson Ltd
₹47 to ₹1173 variant(s)
₹45 to ₹902 variant(s)
MonozideGroup Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹12 to ₹192 variant(s)
₹30 to ₹502 variant(s)
PimoliteElite Pharma Pvt Ltd
₹22 to ₹402 variant(s)
PimideD D Pharmaceuticals
₹60 to ₹902 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pimozide
- Take it at the same time every day to help you remember to take it.
- Get regular blood tests to monitor the levels of electrolytes (salts such as potassium and magnesium) in your blood as suggested by your doctor.
- Regularly get your heart function monitored as suggested by your doctor.
- It may increase your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and monitor your blood levels regularly.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Pimozide can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Inform your doctor if you experience symptoms such as high fever, sweating, muscle stiffness, and faster breathing. These may be due to a rare side effect known as a neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
- Do not stop taking Pimozide without talking to your doctor first as it may cause a worsening of symptoms.