Information about Nonoxinol-9/Nonoxynol
Nonoxinol-9/Nonoxynol is used as spermicidal (kill sperms) contraceptives.
How nonoxinol-9/nonoxynol works
Nonoxinol-9/nonoxynol kills the sperms by breaking their outer covering.
Common side effects of nonoxinol-9/nonoxynol
Burning sensation, Application site irritation
Available Medicine for Nonoxinol-9/NonoxynolNo medicine available
Expert advice for Nonoxinol-9/Nonoxynol
- Diaphragm/cap with nonoxinol-9 should be put in place inside the vagina before intercourse and left there for at least six hours after intercourse.
- If you have intercourse more than three times a day, nonoxinol-9 may cause genital skin problems and increase the chances of you getting HIV (AIDS) infection.
- Nonoxinol-9 does not protect against HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases, you must use a latex condom to protect against the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
- Do not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline), mineral oil (baby oil), or any oil-based vaginal and rectal preparations while using nonoxinol-9.
- Discontinue use of nonoxinol-9 if vaginal or penile irritation occurs.
- Do not leave a diaphragm in the vagina for longer than 24 hours.
- Breast feeding mothers should consult the doctor before using nonoxinol-9.