Nonoxinol-9/Nonoxynol is used as spermicidal (kill sperms) contraceptives.
How it works
Nonoxinol-9/Nonoxynol kills the sperms by breaking their outer covering.
Common side effects
Pain, Application site reaction, Application site irritation, Burning sensation, Feeling of discomfort, Itching, Vulvar rash, Vulvar redness
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Diaphragm/cap with nonoxinol-9 should be put in place inside the vagina before intercourse and left there for at least six hours after intercourse.
- If you have intercourse more than three times a day, nonoxinol-9 may cause genital skin problems and increase the chances of you getting HIV (AIDS) infection.
- Nonoxinol-9 does not protect against HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases, you must use a latex condom to protect against the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
- Do not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline), mineral oil (baby oil), or any oil-based vaginal and rectal preparations while using nonoxinol-9.
- Discontinue use of nonoxinol-9 if vaginal or penile irritation occurs.
- Do not leave a diaphragm in the vagina for longer than 24 hours.
- Breast feeding mothers should consult the doctor before using nonoxinol-9.