Manganese is used to prevent and treat manganese deficiency. It is used as a supplement to treat weakened bones in osteoporosis, anemia, and in premenstrual syndrome (symptoms include acne, tender breasts, bloating, feeling tired, irritability, and mood changes before menstruation).
How it works
Manganese belongs to a class of drugs called as micronutrients. It is an essential mineral element of the body required for number of physiological processes like bone formation. It is also a part of multiple enzymes and enzyme activators.
Common side effects
Cholestatic jaundice, Extra pyramidal symptom, Increased magnesium level in blood, Impaired biliary secretion
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Ensure that you do not consume more than 11 mg daily, as this may cause severe side effects.
- Consult your doctor before giving manganese to children.
- Exercise caution if you are an anemic (iron deficient) or if you have history of liver disorder.
- Tell your doctor if you are using antibiotics or antipsychotic drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to manganese or to any of its ingredients.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is manganese toxic?
Manganese in higher than recommended doses can be toxic. Please consult your doctor before taking manganese or manganese containing supplements.