Information about Loratadine
Loratadine is used in the treatment of allergic conditions.
How loratadine works
Loratadine is an antihistaminic medication. It treats allergy symptoms such as such as itching, swelling, and rashes by blocking the effects of a chemical messenger (histamine) in the body.
Common side effects of loratadine
Sleepiness, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Headache, Increased appetite
Available Medicine for Loratadine
- ₹75 to ₹107Fulford India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹152Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹50Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Mohrish Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹42Empiai Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹33Morepen Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹49Intel Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹45Medicowin Remedies (P) Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Loratadine
- Your doctor has prescribed Loratadine to help relieve allergy symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes.
- As compared to other similar medications, it is much less likely to make you feel sleepy.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication as it may cause increased sleepiness.
- Stop taking Loratadine at least three days before taking an allergy test as it can affect the test results.
Frequently asked questions for Loratadine
Q. Is Loratadine an anticholinergic/narcotic/antibiotic?
No, Loratadine is antihistaminic drug which may have anticholinergic properties and it is not narcotic/ antibiotic
Q. Can I take Loratadine for a cold/sinus infection/insect bites/hives/bee sting/allergic reaction, rash/congestion?
Yes, but patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take loratadine with Nyquil /Mucinex/ ibuprofen/ Singulair/ Benadryl/ amoxicillin/ diphenhydramine /Zoloft/ Zyrtec/ Dayquil?
Yes, but taking other antihistaminic medicines like diphenhydramine/Zyrtec/Benadryl /Day quil/ Zoloft / Mucinex may alter the effects of loratadine. Ibuprofen, Nyquil may alter levels of loratadine. You can take loratadine with amoxicillin. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does loratadine contain diphenhydramine or aspirin?
No, it does not contain diphenhydramine or aspirin.
Q. Is Loratadine safe?
Loratadine is safe at prescribed dose and duration for treatment of allergies as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Loratadine the same as Zyrtec?
No, Loratadine is different from Zyrtec as Zyrtec contains cetirizine. Both Loratadine and Zyrtec belong to the same category of antihistamines. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. How long can I take Loratadine for?
Patient can take Loratadine for prescribed dose and duration for treatment of allergies as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Loratadine get you high/raise blood pressure/cause dementia/drowsiness?
Loratadine causing these side effects is very rare. However, always consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects