Information about Ethosuximide
Ethosuximide is used in the treatment of Epilepsy/Seizures.
How ethosuximide works
Ethosuximide is an anticonvulsant medicine. It works by binding with the T-type voltage sensitive calcium channels to regulate the entrance for calcium ions in the nerves and brain. In this way, it decreases the hyperactivity of the brain and nerves. Thus, it works on the nervous system to treat seizures (fits).
Common side effects of ethosuximide
Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Indigestion, Stomach pain, Dizziness, Lightheadedness, Diarrhea, Weight loss, Headache, Loss of appetite, Hiccup
Available Medicine for Ethosuximide
- ₹430Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ethosuximide
- Take it only as per dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
- It may cause dizziness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how Ethosuximide affects you.
- Your doctor may get regular tests done to monitor your kidney function, liver function, and the level of blood cells in your blood.
- Inform your doctor if you notice changes in your mood, behavior or if you have suicidal thoughts while taking Ethosuximide.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it can worsen the seizures.