Information about Docetaxel
Docetaxel is used in the treatment of breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, cancer of head and neck and prostate cancer.
How docetaxel works
Docetaxel is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of docetaxel
Nausea, Vomiting, Muscle pain, Hair loss, Hypersensitivity, Loss of appetite, Infection, Diarrhoea, Anemia, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Altered taste, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Febrile neutropenia, Neuropathy
Available Medicine for Docetaxel
- ₹28 to ₹15379Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹3819 to ₹16118Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹5529 to ₹21111Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5178 to ₹18201Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2890 to ₹9700Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹3626 to ₹13359Panacea Biotec Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3125 to ₹10500Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3200 to ₹13120Celon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3238 to ₹13762Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3500 to ₹14500RPG Life Sciences Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Docetaxel
- Before docetaxel is administered to you, ensure that all the blood tests and liver-function tests have been adequately performed.
- Inform your doctor before taking docetaxel if you suffer from alcohol dependence or liver impairment as this medicine contains alcohol (ethanol).
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while taking this drug as it may cause dizziness.
- Consult your doctor if you intend to have a child during and 6 months after docetaxel treatment, as it may affect fertility.
- Inform your doctor before taking docetaxel if you have heart, kidney or liver problems, abnormal liver function, swelling or fluid retention in the body, weakened immune system, infections, problems with bone-marrow, low platelet or white blood cell count, or if you have previously received radiation therapy.
Frequently asked questions for Docetaxel
Q. Is Docetaxel a taxane, anthracycline derivative?
Docetaxel belongs to the taxane class of drugs. It is not an anthracycline derivative
Q. Is Docetaxel cytotoxic?
Yes. Since, Docetaxel kills the cancer cells in the body; it is regarded as a cytotoxic agent
Q. Does Docetaxel cause hair loss, weight gain or bone pain?
Docetaxel may cause hair loss, bone pain or weight gain due to fluid retention. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Where does Docetaxel come from?
Docetaxel is derived from the bark of the yew tree found in the pacific region
Q. Is Docetaxel FDA approved?
Yes. Docetaxel is approved by the USFDA.