Information about Chlordiazepoxide
Chlordiazepoxide is used in the treatment of severe anxiety.
How chlordiazepoxide works
Chlordiazepoxide is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of chlordiazepoxide
Available Medicine for Chlordiazepoxide
- ₹44Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹51Talent India2 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹44A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹24Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹28Kivi Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹28La Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹32Theo Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹36Mayflower India2 variant(s)
- ₹25Thrift Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Chlordiazepoxide
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of this medicine is very high. Take it only as per the dose and duration advised by your doctor
- It may cause dizziness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol as it may increase dizziness and drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as that may lead to nausea, anxiety, agitation, flu-like symptoms, sweating, tremor, and confusion.
Frequently asked questions for Chlordiazepoxide
Q. Does Chlordiazepoxide work and what does Chlordiazepoxide treat?
Chlordiazepoxide is used for the short-term (2-4 weeks only) treatment of severe anxiety, which may occur alone or in association with sleeping problems (insomnia) or personality/behavioral disorders. It may also be used to treat muscle spasms, and to relieve alcohol withdrawal symptoms
Q. Is chlordiazepoxide/chlordiazepoxide + clidinium a narcotic/controlled drug or substance?
Chlordiazepoxide is not a narcotic drug. Chlordiazepoxide is classified by the Drug Enforcement Administration as a Schedule IV controlled substance. Any medicine which contains chlordiazepoxide alone or in combination with other drugs will be treated as a controlled substance and will require prescription for purchase
Q. Is Chlordiazepoxide a benzodiazepine?
Chlordiazepoxide belongs to a group of medicines known as benzodiazepines
Q. Is Chlordiazepoxide addictive?
Yes. Chlordiazepoxide is not recommended for long term use as it may increase the risk of dependence
Q. Is chlordiazepoxide the same as diazepam?
No. Chlordiazepoxide and diazepam are not the same; however, they both belong to the same class of drug known as benzodiazepines
Q. Is Chlordiazepoxide stronger than Xanax?
Xanax is a trade name for active drug alprazolam which belongs to the same group of medicines as Chlordiazepoxide called benzodiazepines. Chlordiazepoxide used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Xanax (alprazolam) is used to treat severe anxiety and severe anxiety associated with depression
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with chlordiazepoxide?
Chlordiazepoxide has no known harmful interaction with ibuprofen. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does Chlordiazepoxide make you sleepy?
Yes, Chlordiazepoxide may make you sleepy
Q. Does Chlordiazepoxide cause weight gain/constipation?
Chlordiazepoxide is not known to cause weight gain/ constipation
Q. Does Chlordiazepoxide get you high?
Chlordiazepoxide does have the risk of causing dependence on long term use due to the calming effects, which may be described by some as ‘getting high
Q. Does Chlordiazepoxide expire?
Yes. Chlordiazepoxide drug has expiry date. Refer to the label instruction of the medicine for detailed information regarding expiry of the drug.