Information about Asenapine
How asenapine works
Asenapine works by modulating the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of asenapine
Nausea, Increased saliva production, Altered taste, Weight gain, Anxiety, Dizziness, Akathisia, Sleepiness, Parkinsonism, Dystonia, Abnormal involuntary movements
Available Medicine for Asenapine
- ₹58 to ₹89Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Asenapine
- Do not swallow asenapine sublingual tablet, the tablet should be placed under tongue until dissolved.
- Consult your doctor if you have any of the following medical conditions: high body temperature and muscle stiffness (neuroleptic malignant syndrome), have had abnormal tongue or face movements (tardive dyskinesia), heart disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, fits (epilepsy), difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia), liver problems, have thoughts of suicide, difficulty controlling core body temperature, abnormally high blood prolactin levels (hyperprolactinemia).
- Seek immediate medical advice if you faint when you get up from a sitting or lying position, sweating or having a lowered level of consciousness (neuroleptic malignant syndrome) after taking asenapine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking asenapine as it may worsen the side effects.
- Do not eat or drink for 10 minutes after taking asenapine.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as asenapine may cause sleepiness.
Frequently asked questions for Asenapine
Q. Is asenapine FDA approved?
Yes, asenapine is approved by FDA
Q. Is asenapine a narcotic, or controlled substance?
Asenapine is not narcotic, controlled substance
Q. Is asenapine addictive?
Asenapine is not addictive
Q. Can I take Xanax or Benadryl with Saphris?
Xanax (alprazolam) and Benadryl when taken with Saphris (asenapine) may lead to increased side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating
Q. Does asenapine cause weight gain?
Asenapine can cause weight gain.