Overview of Culture Urine
What is Culture Urine?
A urine culture may be ordered when you have symptoms of urinary tract infection, such as pain and burning when urinating and frequent urge to urinate. Pregnant women without any symptoms may be screened for bacteria in their urine, which could affect the health and development of the fetus. A urine culture may be ordered with a urinalysis or as follow up to abnormal results on a urinalysis.
The sample type collected for Culture Urine is: Urine
Preparation for Culture Urine
- Collect the Urine Sample in a sterile container available from the lab or any pharmacy. Allow a small stream of urine to flow by and then carefully hold the cup under urine. Make sure the cup doesn’t come in contact with your skin.
Why Get Tested for Culture Urine?
- If you have signs or symptoms of urinary tract infections like pain or burning while urinating, frequent urge to urinate, lower back pain, fever with chills
- During the first trimester of pregnancy to screen against urinary tract infections (UTI)
- As a part of routine urine analysis or health check ups
What Results of Culture Urine mean?
- Urine culture is mostly interpreted in conjunction with the results of a urine analysis, the symptoms of the patient and how the sample was collected
- Typically, the presence of a single type of bacteria growing at high counts is considered a positive urine culture
- Cultures with more than 100,000 colony forming units/ml of one type of bacteria usually indicate infection in the urinary tract (UTI). Most common bacteria causing UTI is Escherichia Coli while other causes may be Klebsiella, Proteus etc.
- A culture which says “no growth in 24 to 48 hours” usually indicate no infection
- If a culture shows growth of several types of bacteria, then it is likely that the growth is due to contamination
Sahyadri Speciality Labs is committed to provide the highest quality of Medical Laboratory services. There is a continual effort to ensure that the staff of the lab understands the Quality Policy & all the quality documentation, as well as follows the Quality manual and implements the Quality System Procedures all the time. By employing QMS, the lab strives to achieve the highest standard of service to provide the most reliable results, nearest to the true value and at most competitive rates. The lab is committed to good & ethical professional practices giving highest priority to client’s confidentiality and ensuring the reporting of the test values without any bias or influence. The lab implements the QMS so as to conform to ISO 15189:2007 and NABL 112 with the objective of Reducing reporting errors to the minimum, Minimizing customer complaints, Achieving maximum growth of the lab.