Overview of C-Peptide
What is C-Peptide?
C peptide is a protein excreted by the kidneys and is a by product of insulin production.
The sample type collected for C-Peptide is: Blood
Preparation for C-Peptide
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for C-Peptide?
- To assess insulin production by the body from pancreas
- If you have insulin resistance i.e. type 2 diabetes and the doctor wants to see if you need insulin supplement externally
- It may be ordered along with blood glucose levels to identify the cause of hypoglycaemia if you have symptoms like fainting, shivering, confusion, sweating, palpitations etc.
- To diagnose tumors of the pancreas – insulinoma
- To assess amount of insulin production if you are a type 1 diabetic
What Results of C-Peptide mean?
- High level of C peptide usually means there is high insulin production in the body as compared to the glucose intake which is interpreted as insulin resistance and diabetes type 2.
- Low levels mean low insulin production in case of type 1 diabetes and excessive external insulin injections.
Sahyadri Speciality Labs is committed to provide the highest quality of Medical Laboratory services. There is a continual effort to ensure that the staff of the lab understands the Quality Policy & all the quality documentation, as well as follows the Quality manual and implements the Quality System Procedures all the time. By employing QMS, the lab strives to achieve the highest standard of service to provide the most reliable results, nearest to the true value and at most competitive rates. The lab is committed to good & ethical professional practices giving highest priority to client’s confidentiality and ensuring the reporting of the test values without any bias or influence. The lab implements the QMS so as to conform to ISO 15189:2007 and NABL 112 with the objective of Reducing reporting errors to the minimum, Minimizing customer complaints, Achieving maximum growth of the lab.