What is BUN Random?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
Why is BUN Random done?
- As a part of routine health check up, kidney function test or basic metabolic panel
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes; face;wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
Interpreting BUN Random results
- Increased BUN level suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Low BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.