Overview of Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
What is Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)?
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of liver damage, liver disease like jaundice, dark urine, nausea, vomiting; when you have evidence of bile duct blockage or hemolytic anemia. Sometimes, it is also ordered in newborns with jaundice.
Why is Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like dark colored urine, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue
- As a part of liver function test or routine health check up
- If you have a history of taking excess amounts of alcohol
- If you have been exposed to hepatitis causing virus
- If you have symptoms or signs of hemolytic anemia like pale skin, jaundice, splenomegaly
- In newborns, to monitor neonatal jaundice
Preparation for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
The sample type collected for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) is: Blood
Interpreting Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) results
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly unconjugated may be due to hemolytic anemia, transfusion reactions
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly conjugated may be due to viral hepatitis, drug reactions, alcoholic liver disease, gall stones or any obstruction in the bile ducts
- Low levels of bilirubin are usually not a cause for concern and therefore not monitored
Tests Included in Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)(3 tests)
- Bilirubin Direct
- Bilirubin Indirect
Niramaya Healthcare is an elite Pathology and Wellness service provider with presence in the National Capital Region of Delhi. It was started by a group of professionals with the motto of “Affordable, Accurate and Accredited pathology at your footstep“. Niramaya Healthcare has gone beyond the concept of ´need based´ testing by promoting the concept of Preventive Healthcare. The health packages offered by Niramaya are based on what the people need and not what sells in the market. Niramaya Healthcare ensures that every test conducted is of highest quality. The team of Niramaya is committed to ensuring an amazing Customer experience and firmly believes in the philosophy of "Sarve Santu Niramaya"