Iron Studies, Basic
What is Iron Studies, Basic?
Iron Studies, Basic is a group of tests that check the iron level in your body. Iron is an essential mineral responsible for formation of Red Blood Cells (RBC), healthy muscles, bone marrow, and organ function.
This test is ordered as a follow up test when abnormal results are found on routine tests such as CBC; when your doctor is suspecting either deficiency of iron or excess of iron. The symptoms of iron deficiency are pale skin, fatigue, headaches, weakness , while the signs of iron overload include weakness, joints and abdominal pain.
These tests are useful to monitor the progress of iron deficiency/ iron excess treatment.
Why is Iron Studies, Basic done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumulation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
Interpreting Iron Studies, Basic results
- A low iron with a high TIBC and transferrin usually indicates iron deficiency anemia. Various causes of iron deficiency are decreased intake, pregnancy, lactation, malabsorption syndromes
- High levels of serum iron can occur as a result of multiple blood transfusions, lead poisoning, liver diseases, sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis
Tests Included (4 tests)
- Unsaturated Iron Binding Capacity
- Iron Serum
- Total Iron Binding Capacity