NABL, CAP, ISO
Overview of Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
What is Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)?
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of liver damage, liver disease like jaundice, dark urine, nausea, vomiting; when you have evidence of bile duct blockage or hemolytic anemia. Sometimes, it is also ordered in newborns with jaundice.
Why is Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like dark colored urine, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue
- As a part of liver function test or routine health check up
- If you have a history of taking excess amounts of alcohol
- If you have been exposed to hepatitis causing virus
- If you have symptoms or signs of hemolytic anemia like pale skin, jaundice, splenomegaly
- In newborns, to monitor neonatal jaundice
Preparation for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
The sample type collected for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) is: Blood
Interpreting Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) results
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly unconjugated may be due to hemolytic anemia, transfusion reactions
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly conjugated may be due to viral hepatitis, drug reactions, alcoholic liver disease, gall stones or any obstruction in the bile ducts
- Low levels of bilirubin are usually not a cause for concern and therefore not monitored
Tests Included in Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)(3 tests)
- Bilirubin Direct
- Bilirubin Indirect
With a decade of experience under its belt, Oncquest is known for its excellence in Clinical Diagnostics. From its first avatar as an R&D focused entity, Oncquest has evolved into a reference laboratory in the field of Oncology, and more recently into a multi-platform Pathology Services provider with a core focus in Molecular Pathology and Surgical Pathology Services. Its logistic capabilities and geographical spread makes Oncquest an ideal associate for clinical activities in India. Oncquest’s accredited quality systems ensure customer satisfaction through any of its customer-centric service offerings. Oncquest’s recent advances in the areas of Companion Diagnostics and Pharmacogenomics have also allowed for and encouraged greater penetration of Personalized Medicine into the Indian healthcare market, making it the future epicentre of the many technological advancements in healthcare, to come. Its close association with many Hospitals across India stands testament to the faith that Oncquest has instilled in the doctors and patients which avail of its services. Oncquest is fast becoming a cornerstone for a blooming healthcare industry. With over a decade of experience in the field of molecular diagnostics and pathology services, Oncquest Laboratories has earned its reputation of clinical excellence in the Indian market. Our advanced technologies and global quality systems have ensured that we stay ahead of the curve, and this has resulted in our association with some of the most advanced clinicians, hospitals and research organizations in the country. As India gets set for a clinical revolution, ushering in a trend of new healthcare services and products, Oncquest has defined its place as a partner of choice for those who bring value to our proud subcontinent. Our national reach and sizeable knowledge base allows us to be at the forefront of scientific advances, and an ideal partner for clinical activities. We strive to be connected with the best in the industry and we welcome partnership in ideas and technologies. For example, Oncquest’s early adoption and utilization of genetic sequencing technologies has resulted in many “first to market” assays, which have subsequently been adopted in several treatment and monitoring protocols. Innovation is an essential part of our DNA. We welcome challenges, and look forward to associating with you and your organizations to develop pioneering solutions and to tackle some of the most pressing issues faced in our world.