NABL, NABH, ISO
Overview of Follicle Stimulating Hormone
What is Follicle Stimulating Hormone?
This test is used in women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or you have irregular menstrual periods; in men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count; when your doctor thinks you have symptoms of pituitary or hypothalamic disease.
The sample type collected for Follicle Stimulating Hormone is: Blood
Preparation for Follicle Stimulating Hormone
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Follicle Stimulating Hormone?
- In adolt women, FSH test may be ordered if you have difficolty in getting pregnant or have irregolar menstrual periods
- For men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
What Results of Follicle Stimulating Hormone mean?
- In women, increased levels of LH and FSH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In men, high FSH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Low levels of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Patient Concerns about Follicle Stimulating Hormone
Frequently Asked Questions about Follicle Stimulating Hormone
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
MDRC is the pioneer in the field of imaging and pathology in the city. At a time when the healthcare of Gurgaon was in its infancy, MDRC started its operations from the New Railway Road in the year 1985. The journey which started with an X-Ray machine has reached a stage where MDRC today is in top league in terms of the range and quality of diagnostic facilities with more then 2500 tests done in house. There are two independent fully equipped centres located across the highway at New Railway Road in main city and one in Sector - 44 near HUDA city centre. Both the centres are spacious and have complete range of diagnostic facilities in fields of radiology, cardiology, pathology and general health. The experience and patient loyalty gained over the last 30 years has made us the number one diagnostic facility in the state of Haryana and NCR. It is because of our dedicated Doctors and high end equipments which help us solve the diagnostic dilemma in complicated cases that we get patients from all over Haryana and the NCR region as well as international patients. Our doctors bring with them highest level of knowledge and experience in their respective fields. The paramedical staff is highly qualified, well trained and motivated to deliver the best experience to our patients. The other support staff is caring and passionate about their work in order to achieve complete patient satisfaction. Modern diagnostics has expanded its facilities by running the diagnostic services at many other hospitals in the city. The footprint is expanding and now we have crossed national boundaries and have facility in Nepal and will soon extended our facility in more countries.