Overview of Total Iron Binding Capacity
What is Total Iron Binding Capacity?
It may be ordered as a part of iron profile when your doctor suspects that you have either deficiency of iron or overload. Mostly, it is ordered when your CBC or peripheral smear shows that you have microcytic hypochromic anemia. Most common symptoms of anemia are fatigue, weakness, pale skin, headaches.
The sample type collected for Total Iron Binding Capacity is: Blood
Preparation for Total Iron Binding Capacity
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Total Iron Binding Capacity?
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
What Results of Total Iron Binding Capacity mean?
The results of TIBC are usually read in conjunction with other iron tests.
- A high TIBC usually indicates iron deficiency anemia but can also be increased in pregnancy
- A low TIBC may be associated with hemochromatosis, sideroblastic anemia, liver disease, malnutrition
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.