Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Potassium
This test is ordered as a part of your routine physical check up, or when an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, or you have disease or conditions which can affect your potassium levels like kidney disease or hypertension. Your doctor will also order this test if you are taking certain drugs which can affect potassium levels.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte profile
- If you are being evaluated for kidney disease
- If you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregolar heart beat
- Potassium testing is routinely ordered when a doctor is diagnosing and evaluating hypertension, diabetic ketoacidosis or when monitoring a patient receiving dialysis or intravenous fluids
- No special preparation required
What Results of Potassium mean?
- High potassium level called hyperkalemia may be seen in conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, dehydration, Addison’s disease, consuming too much potassium or certain drugs like beta blockers, NSAIDS, ACE inhibitors etc
- Low potassium level called as hypokalemia may be seen in severe vomiting, diarrhea, certain drugs like steroids, antibiotics like gentamycin
Patient Concerns about Potassium
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are good dietary sources of potassium?
Foods high in potassium include a number of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.