Overview of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
What is Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
This test measures the amount of an enzyme called lactate dehydrogenase that is an important marker for tissue injury anywhere in the body. It may be ordered, along with other tests such as a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), when your doctor suspects that a disease or condition is causing some degree of cellular or tissue damage. LDH levels may also occasionally be ordered when an individual has experienced muscle trauma or injury or when a person has signs and symptoms of hemolytic anemia. LDH testing may be ordered on a regular basis when an individual has been diagnosed with cancer.
The sample type collected for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum is: Blood
Preparation for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
- As a part of comprehensive metabolic panel
- In many diseases, when your doctor suspects some cellolar or tissue damage
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia
- In certain cases, when some cancers are suspected
- If you have symptoms of meningitis like neck stiffness, severe headache, high fever, vomiting, rashes, then spinal fluid may be checked for LDH
What Results of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum mean?
- Increased levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase usually indicate some type of tissue damage. Therefore, they may be elevated in a variety of conditions like hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, infections, acute kidney and liver diseases, testicular cancers and lymphoma. A high LDH level may indicate that the treatment for cancer has not been successful. The LDH level may also remain persistently high in some chronic and progressive conditions.
- Low levels of LDH usually do not indicate a problem. It may be seen when someone ingests large amount of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Patient Concerns about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Q. Is LDH used to diagnose heart attack?
Earlier LDH was used to diagnose an acute heart attack, but new, far more sensitive and specific tests have completely replaced it as a test for heart muscle injury.
Gen-X Diagnostics is a unit of ARA Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. founded by leading applied research scientist Dr. Rama Mukherjee. Gen-X specializes in the field of molecular diagnostics, focusing on the development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services. It is one of the first of its kind R&D Company focusing on development of genetic, biological and molecular diagnostic services with an intention to assisting its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug discovery and development by providing cost effective and efficient co-development and outlicencing solution. Gen X Diagnostics is a unique leading Molecular Diagnostics in India offering a wide range of tests for infectious diseases, transplantation medicine, prenatal diagnostics, cancer, genetic disorder, metabolic and hormonal disorders. Gen-X Diagnostics has started its diagnostics operation from Dec 2007. We do reflect a commitment to improving the lives through the delivery of innovative diagnosis and therapeutic products that enable and provide optimal care.