Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Malarial Parasite Identification
Malaria is a life threatening disease that is typically transmitted through bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Peripheral smear examination is done to diagnose malarial parasite. For making a peripheral smear, a drop of blood is applied to and spread on a glass slide. It is then stained with a special stain and examined under the microscope to identify the different types of malarial parasite. Typically, two thick and two thin smears are prepared. These tests are currently the gold standard for malaria detection and identification. All four variants of malarial parasite i.e. Plasmodium Vivax, Plasmodium Ovale, Plasmodium Malariae and Plasmodium Falciparum can be identified.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of malaria like fever with shaking chills, headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, profuse sweating, headache
- As a part of fever panel
- No special preparation required
What Results of Malarial Parasite Identification mean?
- Thick smears are 20 to 40 times more sensitive than thin smears for screening of malarial parasite i.e. whether malarial parasite is present or not
- Thin smears allow for the detection or identification of malaria species
- Four different types of malarial parasite can be identified on the peripheral smear. These include Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium Falciparum, Plasmodium Malariae and Plasmodium ovale
- Three different stages of the parasite can be identified. They include ring forms, schizonts and gametocyte
- The presence of malarial parasite on the smear indicates infection with malaria
- A negative test does not rule out malaria. Repeat tests may have to be done in all doubtful cases.
We at CORE Diagnostics are a renowned pathology testing laboratory & a premier institute in the country capable of providing varied diagnostic tests & facilities in the field of laboratory medicine and have established state-of-art testing facilities in Gurgaon. We are a Clinical laboratory focused on Next Generation Diagnostics for disease stratification and therapy selection. We are focused on bringing the most advanced testing techniques and expertise to India and aim to become the destination for all your high-end diagnostic needs.