What is Uroflowmetry ?
Uroflowmetry also known as uroflow test is a diagnostic tool to evaluate the functioning of urinary tract. This test is recommended to a person complaining of difficulty in urination. It measures the amount and speed of urination hence helps in detecting in any obstruction in urinary tract. This test diagnoses weak bladder and enlarged prostrate.
Normal urine flow is 10-21 mL/sec in males and 15-18mL/sec in females. A flow rate less than 10mL/sec is considered critical. Abnormal urine flow may be a result of bladder cancer, prostate cancer and neurogenic bladder.
Why is Uroflowmetry done?
- To diagnose the cause of slow urination, weak urine stream, or difficulty in urinating
- To check for conditions that affect rate of urine flow, including blockages in the lower urinary tract, stones in urinary bladder and dysfunction of the sphincter muscles
- To detect any suspected benign prostate enlargement
- To diagnose the cancers of the urinary bladder or prostate gland
- To diagnose the cause of involuntary emptying of the urinary bladder