Overview of HBV Quant.
What is HBV Quant.?
This test is ordered when you have signs and symptoms of acute hepatitis like loss of appetite, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain.
Why is HBV Quant. done?
- It is ordered in the management of patients with chronic hepatitis B infection and currently on antiviral therapy
- It is typically done at diagnosis of hepatitis B for baseline values and during the course of therapy to assess the response of treatment.
Preparation for HBV Quant.
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for HBV Quant.
The sample type collected for Hepatitis B Virus - Viral Load, Quantitative is: Blood
Interpreting HBV Quant. results
Results are categorized into 3 levels
- Low or undetectable viral load means that the lab equipment cannot detect it and viral load is less than approximately 300 copies/mL
- Moderate levels are about 10,000 – 90,000 copies/mL
- High levels indicate quantities over 100,000 copies/mL, which is considered clinically significant