Overview of Insulin - Random
What is Insulin - Random?
Insulin is produced by beta cells of the pancreas. It leads to Type 1 (IDDM) diabetes caused by Insulin deficiency & Type 2 (NIDDM) diabetes caused by insulin resistance. This assay is useful in the management of Diabetes. It is also used for diagnosing Insulinoma when used in conjunction with Proinsu-lin and C-peptide measurement.
Why is Insulin - Random done?
- To confirm the presence of insolin secreting tumours like insolinoma
- To confirm resistance to insolin hormone
- To monitor insolin levels in diabetics taking medicines or insolin injection
- If you have symptoms of low blood glucose levels like giddiness, sweating, palpitations, confusion, fainting and dryness of mouth.
Preparation for Insulin - Random
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Insulin - Random
The sample type collected for Insulin - Random is: Blood
Interpreting Insulin - Random results
- High levels of insulin may be associared with insulin secreting tumors or excess medicines
- Low levels can be seen in pancreatic disease like pancreatitis, pancreatic tumor, diabetes
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Insulin - Random
Frequently Asked Questions about Insulin - Random
Q. Can I do a home insulin test?
No, insulin test requires special instruments so, it can only be done in laboratories
The CLINICAL LABORATORY of Shahbazker’s Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd., Colaba is the 5th lab in Mumbai & 21st in India to be granted accreditation by NABL, and the 1st Lab in Mumbai and 2nd in India to be accredited under ISO 15189 (specific for medical Laboratories). NABL is a body under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. Its criteria are based on ISO 15189:2007.