Overview of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
What is Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
This test measures the amount of an enzyme called lactate dehydrogenase that is an important marker for tissue injury anywhere in the body. It may be ordered, along with other tests such as a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), when your doctor suspects that a disease or condition is causing some degree of cellular or tissue damage. LDH levels may also occasionally be ordered when an individual has experienced muscle trauma or injury or when a person has signs and symptoms of hemolytic anemia. LDH testing may be ordered on a regular basis when an individual has been diagnosed with cancer.
The sample type collected for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum is: Blood
Preparation for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
- As a part of comprehensive metabolic panel
- In many diseases, when your doctor suspects some cellolar or tissue damage
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia
- In certain cases, when some cancers are suspected
- If you have symptoms of meningitis like neck stiffness, severe headache, high fever, vomiting, rashes, then spinal fluid may be checked for LDH
What Results of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum mean?
- Increased levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase usually indicate some type of tissue damage. Therefore, they may be elevated in a variety of conditions like hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, infections, acute kidney and liver diseases, testicular cancers and lymphoma. A high LDH level may indicate that the treatment for cancer has not been successful. The LDH level may also remain persistently high in some chronic and progressive conditions.
- Low levels of LDH usually do not indicate a problem. It may be seen when someone ingests large amount of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Patient Concerns about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Q. Is LDH used to diagnose heart attack?
Earlier LDH was used to diagnose an acute heart attack, but new, far more sensitive and specific tests have completely replaced it as a test for heart muscle injury.
We are committed for providing accurate speedy results. and highly personalized care. For timely results we have strengthened our IT division so that we can reach within seconds to every nuke and corner of the world. We participate actively in awareness campaigns and health check-up campaigns. Our services include Clinical Laboratory services, Hospital Laboratory set up , Laboratory Services for Clinical Trials, Home Health Services and Preventive Health Check ups .Prathamesh is now Networked, Certified and Accredited. Prathamesh plans to offer almost the entire range of diagnostic services across the globe with high degree of accuracy and at an affordable price.