Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Potassium
This test is ordered as a part of your routine physical check up, or when an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, or you have disease or conditions which can affect your potassium levels like kidney disease or hypertension. Your doctor will also order this test if you are taking certain drugs which can affect potassium levels.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte profile
- If you are being evaluated for kidney disease
- If you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregolar heart beat
- Potassium testing is routinely ordered when a doctor is diagnosing and evaluating hypertension, diabetic ketoacidosis or when monitoring a patient receiving dialysis or intravenous fluids
- No special preparation required
What Results of Potassium mean?
- High potassium level called hyperkalemia may be seen in conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, dehydration, Addison’s disease, consuming too much potassium or certain drugs like beta blockers, NSAIDS, ACE inhibitors etc
- Low potassium level called as hypokalemia may be seen in severe vomiting, diarrhea, certain drugs like steroids, antibiotics like gentamycin
Patient Concerns about Potassium
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are good dietary sources of potassium?
Foods high in potassium include a number of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das