Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Homocysteine
This test is ordered to determine if you have a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency; to determine if you are at increased risk of heart attack or stroke; as a part of newborn screening to help diagnose a rare inherited disorder called homocystinuria.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of vitamin B12 or folate deficiency like weakness, fatigue, loss of appetite, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, tingling or numbness in hand or feet
- To determine your risk of heart disease like heart attack or stroke
- When an infant or child has signs or symptoms of homoystinuria
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Homocysteine mean?
- Increased levels of homocysteine may be seen in vitamin B12 or folate deficiency. It should be confirmed by other tests for Vitamin B12 or folate
- Latest studies also suggest that raised homocysteine levels may be associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease like heart attack or stroke
- In newborn testing, greatly increased concentrations of homocysteine in urine or blood means that it is quite likely the infant is suffering from homocystinuria
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das