Overview of Creatinine
What is Creatinine?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease. It is also ordered if you have diseases which can affect the kidney like diabetes etc.
Why is Creatinine done?
- As a part of routine health check up or basic metabolic panel
- As a part of kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists etc, poor appetite, change in urinary frequency, bloody urine, mid back pain or high blood pressure
- If you already have a kidney disease, this test is regolarly done to assess the function of your kidneys and plan further management
Preparation for Creatinine
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Creatinine
The sample type collected for Creatinine is: Blood
Interpreting Creatinine results
- Increased creatinine levels in blood suggest kidney disease or other disorders which may affect kidney function. These include: damage to the blood vessels in kidney (glomerulonephritis), bacterial infection of kidney (pyelonephritis), acute tubular necrosis, kidney stones or rarely congestive heart failure, dehydration etc
- Low levels of creatinine are not usually seen and is not a cause for concern
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Creatinine
Frequently Asked Questions about Creatinine
Q. Does exercise affect my creatinine levels?
Moderate exercise does not usually affect the creatinine levels. As you continue exercising, more muscle mass is built which may affect the levels temporarily.
Q. Does diet affect the levels of creatinine?
Some studies suggest that eating cooked meat prior to the test may increase the levels.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das