Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Thyroid profile Total
It includes tests like TSH, total T3 and total T4. These tests are done to screen for and diagnose thyroid disorders. You should get this panel done if you have symptoms of hyperthyroidism like weight loss, nervousness, tremors or hypothyroidism like weight gain, constipation, fatigue, cold intolerance. They can also help to diagnose and monitor infertility problems in women. If you are already taking anti thyroid medications, these tests are helpful in monitoring thyroid replacement therapy. High levels of TSH while low T3 and T4 levels indicate hypothyroidism while the reverse is true for hyperthyroidism.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of low levels of thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) like weight gain, constipation, cold intolerance, constipation, fatigue
- If you have symptoms of high level of thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism) like weight loss, anxiety, increased heart rate, tremors in hand, diarrhea, puffiness around the eyes
- As a part of thyroid profile or panel
- If you are pregnant and have thyroid disorder
- For neonatal screening
- No special preparation required
What Results of Thyroid profile Total mean?
- Low T4 and T3 along with high TSH level indicates hypothyroidism. The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto thyroiditis
- High T4 and T3 along with low TSH indicates hyperthyroidism. The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Grave’s disease
- Normal thyroxine (T4) and T3 along with high TSH usually indicates mild or sub clinical hypothyroidism
- Normal T3 and T4 along with low TSH indicates mild or sub clinical hyperthyroidism
Tests Included in Thyroid profile Total(3 tests)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
- Thyroxine - Total
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.