Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Potassium
This test is ordered as a part of your routine physical check up, or when an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, or you have disease or conditions which can affect your potassium levels like kidney disease or hypertension. Your doctor will also order this test if you are taking certain drugs which can affect potassium levels.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of basic metabolic panel or electrolyte profile
- If you are being evaluated for kidney disease
- If you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregolar heart beat
- Potassium testing is routinely ordered when a doctor is diagnosing and evaluating hypertension, diabetic ketoacidosis or when monitoring a patient receiving dialysis or intravenous fluids
- No special preparation required
What Results of Potassium mean?
- High potassium level called hyperkalemia may be seen in conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, dehydration, Addison’s disease, consuming too much potassium or certain drugs like beta blockers, NSAIDS, ACE inhibitors etc
- Low potassium level called as hypokalemia may be seen in severe vomiting, diarrhea, certain drugs like steroids, antibiotics like gentamycin
Patient Concerns about Potassium
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are good dietary sources of potassium?
Foods high in potassium include a number of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.