Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Liver Function Test
It includes a panel of tests which are done to evaluate the function of your liver. You should get this test done if you have any signs or symptoms of liver disease like jaundice, loss of appetite, nausea,vomiting,abdominal pain etc. It should also be ordered if you have risk factors for liver diseases like hepatitis virus infection, diabetes,high blood pressure, you are a chronic alcoholic or you have a family history of liver disease.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like loss of appetite, weakness, jaundice, abdominal pain, itching, nausea, vomiting
- If you are a chronic alcoholic
- If you have a history of exposure to hepatitis virus
- If you have a family history of liver disease
- If you are taking medicines which may affect your liver
- As a part of routine health check up
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Liver Function Test mean?
- Bilirubin - Raised in most of the acute or chronic conditions affecting liver like viral hepatitis, alcoholic hepatitis, bile duct obstruction
- AST & ALT - They are liver enzymes. Very high levels of AST and ALT are usually associated with acute hepatitis while moderately increased levels may be seen in chronic hepatitis. ALT is usually higher than AST in acute liver damage and in auto immune disorders while AST is higher than ALT in alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, cancer
- Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) - is an enzyme which is increased often to four times normal in obstruction of the bile ducts. It can be mildly increased in other conditions affecting the liver like cirrhosis, liver cancer
- Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) - Increased GGT levels are most commonly seen in alcoholic liver disease
- PT (Prothrombin time) - Increased PT levels may sometimes be seen in liver disease
Liver function test is a panel of tests and the results should be interpreted keeping all the values in mind
Tests Included in Liver Function Test(9 tests)
- Alkaline Phosphatase
- Protein Total, Serum(includes 4 tests)
Albumin/Globulin Ratio, Serum
- Aspartate Aminotransferase
- Gamma Glutamyl Transferase
- Alanine Transaminase
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.