NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Iron Deficiency Profile
This test is ordered as a follow up test when abnormal results are found on routine tests such as CBC; when your doctor is suspecting either deficiency of iron or excess of iron. The features of iron deficiency are pale skin, fatigue, headaches, weakness.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumulation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Iron Deficiency Profile mean?
- A low iron with a high TIBC and transferrin usually indicates iron deficiency anemia. Various causes of iron deficiency are decreased intake, pregnancy, lactation, malabsorption syndromes
- High levels of serum iron can occur as a result of multiple blood transfusions, lead poisoning, liver diseases, sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis
Tests Included in Iron Deficiency Profile(3 tests)
- Iron Serum
- Percent Transferrin Saturation
Established in 1995, Lifecare is the country's premier full-service diagnostic center with laboratory, providing expertise in imaging and digital pathology services. Our integrated diagnostic services help doctors personalize patient care to optimally treat disease and maintain health and wellness. We are committed to providing only the highest level of testing quality and service and working with you to provide unique solutions to your most challenging needs. A highly skilled team of medical professionals including physicians, scientists, medical technologists, medical technicians, lab assistants, biologists, chemists, microbiologists, geneticists, and other specialists work collaboratively. The department receives specimens for testing from patients and collection centers and is a reference laboratory for other clinics and hospitals both nationally and internationally. Lifecare's mission is to support the local delivery of laboratory services through the provision of exceptional reference laboratory services and by providing support services that facilitate and augment community integration efforts. We ensure Quality control programs that exceed industry guidelines for every patient sample. Proactive internal quality control team consisting of pathologists and laboratory personnel ensuring consistency and accuracy of specimen processing and diagnosis Our staff recognizes that specimens are patients, not just accession numbers in our lab. They are dedicated to combining the newest technologies, expertise, and quality in every sample they process.