NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen
This test is ordered when you have signs and symptoms of acute hepatitis like loss of appetite, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain. Hepatitis B surface antigen test may be used for screening high risk people like homosexuals, people infected with HIV, pregnant women etc. Sometimes, it may also help in diagnosing chronic hepatitis B infection.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms associated with acute hepatitis to determine if they are due to Hepatitis B infection. Various signs and symptoms include fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, jaundice, dark urine
- As a follow up test if routine tests like ALT and AST are elevated
- If you are at high risk for chronic Hepatitis B infection like close contact with someone infected with HBV, pregnant woman, if you are infected with HIV, homosexual men
- At a regolar basis to monitor people with chronic hepatitis B infection
- No special preparation required
What Results of Hepatitis B s (Surface) Antigen mean?
The tests for hepatitis B can be ordered individually but usually ordered in combination with other tests
- Positive HBsAg along with positive hepatitis B e antigen tests usually indicate acute infection with the virus and in the infective stage
- Positive hepatitis B surface antigen along with positive core and envelope antibody denotes chronic infection but low risk of infection i.e. carrier state
- Negative HBsAg with positive hepatitits B surface antibody usually indicates no active or prior infection and the individual is not immune
- Negative surface antigen with positive hepatitis B surface antibody denotes that you are immunized against the virus
Established in 1995, Lifecare is the country's premier full-service diagnostic center with laboratory, providing expertise in imaging and digital pathology services. Our integrated diagnostic services help doctors personalize patient care to optimally treat disease and maintain health and wellness. We are committed to providing only the highest level of testing quality and service and working with you to provide unique solutions to your most challenging needs. A highly skilled team of medical professionals including physicians, scientists, medical technologists, medical technicians, lab assistants, biologists, chemists, microbiologists, geneticists, and other specialists work collaboratively. The department receives specimens for testing from patients and collection centers and is a reference laboratory for other clinics and hospitals both nationally and internationally. Lifecare's mission is to support the local delivery of laboratory services through the provision of exceptional reference laboratory services and by providing support services that facilitate and augment community integration efforts. We ensure Quality control programs that exceed industry guidelines for every patient sample. Proactive internal quality control team consisting of pathologists and laboratory personnel ensuring consistency and accuracy of specimen processing and diagnosis Our staff recognizes that specimens are patients, not just accession numbers in our lab. They are dedicated to combining the newest technologies, expertise, and quality in every sample they process.