Overview of Vitamin B 9
What is Vitamin B 9?
When you have an abnormal complete blood count (CBC) with a blood smear showing large red blood cells (macrocytosis) or abnormal (hypersegmented) neutrophils; when you have symptoms of anemia (weakness, tiredness, pale skin) and/or of neuropathy (tingling or itching sensations, eye twitching, memory loss, altered mental status); when you are being treated for vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
The sample type collected for Vitamin B 9 is: Blood
Preparation for Vitamin B 9
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Vitamin B 9?
- If you have symptoms of anemia like weakness, tiredness, pale skin
- If you have an abnormal complete blood count and your blood smear shows large red blood cells or neutrophils with more than 5 lobes
- If you have symptoms or signs of nerve problems like numbness, burning in hands, feet, arms,tingling sensation
- If you are being treated with vitamin B12 or folate therapy
- Folate levels in blood may vary based on your recent diet. Since your red blood cells store 95% of circolating folate, your doctor may order a test to measure the folate level within RBC’s
What Results of Vitamin B 9 mean?
Low levels of folate in the blood may indicate:
- Folic acid deficiency anemia
- Malabsorption syndromes
- Chronic alcoholism
General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is a medical technology company and provider of high-end Preventive Screening and Diagnostic tests with a special focus on metabolomics. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is also a Technology Solution Provider to laboratories world-wide offering services based on high end chromatographic instruments. Since its inception about a decade ago, General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has been continually evolving, transforming and thriving in this ever changing field through its innovations, operational efficiency, and creation of breakthrough solutions. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has to its credit the world's most comprehensive genetic metabolic screening test, in addition to several other preventive tests which help address health conditions like diabetes, weight problems, food intolerances, allergies and dysbiosis.